Advanced First Aid Program:
The Western Institute of Emergency Education is an authorized Training Partner of The Canadian Red Cross. The Advanced First Aid Program offered by the Western Institute of Emergency Education is the Canadian Red Cross Program .
- Edmonton Fire Recruitment
- OFA Level 3 British Columbia
- Work Place Health and Safety
For those primarily designated with the responsibility as an Advanced Workplace First Aid Attendant. In some jurisdictions, this advanced first aid course is approved for pre-hospital medical first responders.
80-120 hours (based on jurisdiction)
• Participant must be certified in Standard First Aid with CPR level C.
Successfully demonstrate the required skills
Minimum 75% mark for written, closed book,
Successfully complete minimum of one practical scenario
Attend and participate in 100% of the course
• 3-year certification in Advanced First Aid
(digital certificate issued upon successful completion)
• 40 hours
• The Professional Responder
• Responding to the call
• Infection prevention and control
• Anatomy and physiology
• Airway management and respiratory emergences • Circulatory emergencies
• Hemorrhage and soft tissue trauma
• Musculoskeletal injuries
• Chest, abdominal and pelvic injuries
• Head and spinal injuries
• Acute and chronic illnesses
• Environmental illnesses
• Pregnancy, labour and delivery
• Special populations
• Crisis intervention
• Reaching, lifting and extricating patients
• Multiple-casualty incidents
• Marine environment
AFA course is for those providing a professional level of emergency response including firefighters, law-enforcement officers, oil and gas safety personnel and emergency medical services personnel.