The Heart and Stroke Basic Life Support (BLS) is the foundational course for healthcare professionals and trained first responders who provide care to patients in a wide variety of in-facility and prehospital settings. BLS is the cornerstone program for healthcare professionals.
As the gold standard, Heart & Stroke’s BLS training courses teach the theoretical and hands-on skills needed to respond to medical emergencies and drives the best possible patient outcomes.
Infused with Heart & Stroke’s 2020 Guidelines for CPR and ECC, our new BLS program offers an engaging and flexible new way of learning. Powered by a new, user-friendly online platform, students can learn BLS in either a blended learning format (self-paced online learning combined with in-person, instructor-led skills training), or for those who require a more traditional format, a completely in-person course that’s led by a qualified instructor. These options ensure you can choose the learning format that suits your needs and your schedule.
In this course, you will learn the fundamental skills of high-quality cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) for victims of all ages. You will practice delivering these skills as a single rescuer and as a member of a multi-rescuer team.
The skills you learn in BLS will enable you to:
- Recognize a cardiac arrest
- Activate the emergency response system early
- Respond quickly and confidently
- Perform high-quality single-rescuer CPR and multi-rescuer team CPR
This course will ensure people in cardiac arrest have the best chance of survival.
- Reflects the most recent science from the 2020 Guidelines Update for CPR and ECC and adapted for Canada’s unique clinical health care practice, pharmacology and systems of care.
- Supports a variety of learning styles with two proven learning formats, including a blended format that allows students to learn at their own pace online and receive focused skills training in-person.
- Incorporates use of feedback devices, proven to improve learning and skills mastery, into the programming during in-person practice and testing.
- Reinforces the importance of direct hands-on practice and coaching in acquiring and elevating skills proficiency.
- Emphasizes the critical importance of high-quality CPR, including coordinated team dynamics.
- Provides engaging video-based content with real world scenarios.
The BLS course focuses on building knowledge so you are confident and ready to perform high-quality CPR in a wide variety of settings. The course covers:
- Chain of Survival
- 1-rescuer / 2-rescuer CPR
- High-quality chest compressions with a feedback device
- Multi-rescuer team CPR
- Adult, Child and Infant CPR and relief of choking
- Use of an AED
- Effective ventilations using a barrier device and bag-mask device
- EXPANDED: Opioid-associated life-threatening emergencies
- NEW: Role of the CPR coach; Maternal cardiac arrest; Anaphylaxis; Drowning; Heart attack and stroke; and, Other life-threatening emergencies
CME/CPD Credits & Accreditation
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Heart & Stroke BLS Provider & BLS Provider Renewal Course eligible for two (2) credits per hour under Section 2 of the MOC Program as “Traineeships”.
Heart & Stroke is committed to continuous assessment and accreditation of our resuscitation programs. Check with your college or professional affiliation to see if this course is eligible for credits.
BLS Blended (online + in-class)
Blended learning combines the strengths of online learning and in-classroom training. Among its many qualities, BLS Blended provides a convenient, flexible and robust option for busy health professionals and emergency responders. This option is particularly feasible when balancing the demands of working and learning are critical, such as during a global pandemic!
Powered using a new, user-friendly online learning platform, BLS Blended teaches the same curriculum and hones the same skills as our traditional, instructor-led course – but on average, it takes less time to complete. A Blended course is divided into two parts:
Part 1: Online: a self-paced, cognitive learning and assessment program with easy access to a rich array of resources, activities, learning videos, knowledge checks and an electronic exam. Once you have completed the first part of the program you will move on to the in-person portion.
Part 2: In-class: an instructor-led, classroom-based session where you will benefit from ample opportunity for hands-on skills practice, expert coaching, debriefing, team scenarios and comprehensive skills testing.