BLS & BLS Renewal
Basic Life Support (BLS) is the foundation for saving lives after cardiac arrest.
BLS Certification Canada
Basic life support is an essential skill for health care professionals, including first responders - it is key to saving lives after cardiac arrest. At The Western Institute of Emergency Education, we offer several courses in basic life support for medical workers in Canada. These courses are ideal for those who need BLS and CPR certifications to treat patients in hospitals and other clinical facilities, including pre-hospital settings.
BLS Certification with The Western Institute
- Course Duration - approximately 3 hours 52 minutes
- Student-to-Instructor-Ratio - 6:1
Participants receive their certification upon course completion. During the training session, you will learn basic life support for single-rescuer and group situations. This includes:
- How to recognize when an emergency requires CPR.
- How to deliver high-quality chest compressions and ventilations with a barrier device to improve the chances of survival. You will learn the techniques for adults, children, and infants.
- How to apply early use of an automated external defibrillator (AED) as well as when it is appropriate to use an AED.
- How to become an effective team member during a multi-rescuer resuscitation.
- The right technique to relieve airway obstruction of a foreign body, including the distinct techniques for adults/children and infants.
You will practice by running through realistic situations, often while watching animations, and will receive instruction from a qualified instructor.
Upon passing, you will receive a BLS Provider eCard, which shows proof of completion. You can present this qualification to your employer or prospective employer by downloading and printing the card.
BLS Renewal Course
- Course Duration - approximately 2 hours 15 minutes
Those who use their skills often (such as paramedics, first responders, and some other types of hospital workers) can benefit from the BLS renewal course. In this BLS course, you will have the chance to express your skills in written and practical assessments. Successful completion will renew your basic life support certification, making it valid for another year.
BLS Renewal Course Prerequisites
Please note that this program is fast-paced, and you will need to remember everything you learned in the previous training session to keep up. Health care providers who have used their skills on few or no occasions throughout the year following the certification should take the full training again. Your knowledge and skills decline rapidly after training, if you lack the opportunity to put them into practice. This can lead to poor quality care.
By refreshing your knowledge every year, on the other hand, you will improve your performance in delivering chest compressions, reduce the time to defibrillation, and enhance your confidence in practicing CPR.
BLS Canada Instructor
Educators and trainers with many years’ experience can receive certification as an instructor in Canada. Through the BLS Instructor course, you will receive all the materials you need to deliver the basic life support course to other medical professionals. Please visit our BLS Instructor page for more information.