The ideal Heart & Stroke Instructor-Candidate:
- Is motivated to teach
- Is motivated to facilitate learning
- Is motivated to ensure that students acquire the skills necessary for successful course completion
- Views student assessment as a way to improve individual knowledge and skills
All BLS Instructor-Candidates must have a current Heart & Stroke BLS Provider card.
BLS Instructor Course
The BLS Instructor course is comprised of two separate one-day training modules, delivered by a Heart a& Stroke Instructor Trainer:
- The Core Instructor course, and
- The Basic Life Support instructor training module
The Core Instructor course is a foundational course required by all Heart & Stroke instructor-candidates. This course teaches instructor-candidates how to apply effective communication techniques, manage the classroom environment, and promote knowledge and skill transfer and retention.
The Basic Life Support instructor training module introduces the instructor-candidate to the educational materials and course outlines utilized in the delivery of Heart & Stroke BLS provider courses.
Mandated Instructor-Candidate Materials:
There are two BLS instructor kits available or the products can be purchased separately. All materials for Heart & Stroke BLS instructors are available through Heart & Stroke’s e-Store, Heart Shop. Instructor materials must be ordered for instructor-candidates by the course coordinator, or the BLS instructor-trainer of the instructor course.