PALS Instructor Course The ideal Heart and Stroke Foundation Instructor-Candidate:
- Is motivated to teach
- Is motivated to facilitate learning
- Is motivated to ensure that students acquire the skills necessary for successful course completion
- Views student assessment as a way to improve individual knowledge and skills
Prerequisites All PALS Instructor-Candidates must have a current Heart and Stroke Foundation BLS course completion card and a Heart and Stroke Foundation PALS provider card. All Instructor-Candidates must complete an application process. Course Description The PALS Instructor Course has two modules, the Core Instructor Course and the Specific module on PALS course delivery and materials. The Core Instructor Course is a foundation course required by all Heart and Stroke Foundation Instructor-Candidates. The course teaches Instructor-Candidates how to apply effective communication techniques, manage the classroom environment, and promote knowledge and skill transfer and retention. The specific PALS module introduces the Instructor-Candidate to the educational materials and course outlines utilized in the delivery of the Heart and Stroke Foundation PALS provider and renewal course. Mandated Instructor-Candidate Materials:
Only Heart and Stroke branded PALS materials are accepted for use in courses where a Heart and Stroke Foundation PALS completion card is issued. There are three Instructor kits available or you can purchase the products separately. All materials for Heart and Stroke Foundation PALS instructors are currently available through the Heart and Stroke Foundation’s e-Store Heart Shop. Instructor materials must be ordered for Instructor-Candidates by the Course coordinator of your Instructor course. Required Instructor-Candidate Materials:
- Provider Manual- print or eBook (RE6100E or RE6100ED)
- Instructor Manual- print (RE6101E) or eBook (RE6101ED)
- Course DVD Set (RE6104E)
Optional General Materials:
- Poster Set (RE6105E)
- Emergency Crash Cart Card Set (RE6106E)
- Pocket Reference Card – print (RE6103E) or digital (RE6103ED) – Included in Provider manual and sold separately.
- Register for the program By completing the Instructor application on the Heart and Stroke Portal https://cpr.heartandstroke.ca/s/become-an-instructor
- Provide a Letter of reference/recommendation from a supervisor or previous PALS Instructor
- Provide a Letter of Intent as to why you want to be an instructor and how you will be able to utilize it
- Provide a copy of your current PALS Provider Card
- Provide a Copy of Your current BLS Card
If you have not already completed your Core, Attend a CORE instructor Session.
PALS Instructor Guidelines Update The Instructor Guideline Update is a requirement by all active, registered Heart and Stroke Foundation Instructors and Instructor-Candidates (BLS, First Aid, ACLS, and PALS) to complete. The Instructor Guidelines Update process occurs in conjunction with the Guidelines for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care updates (approximately every 5 years). The Instructor Guidelines update introduces instructors to changes in the guidelines and the rationale for those changes, and the revised educational delivery techniques used in new course materials.